DESCRIPTION OF WORK: Along with the Public Works Director, this position is responsible for the city’s water system, sanitary sewer system, storm sewer system, operation and maintenance of city streets, alleys and parking lots, parks and shade tree. Provides manual labor and operates and maintains public work’s department equipment as required to provide timely and efficient general maintenance services to the entire city operations. Works in various areas of the public works department such as streets, utilities, parks or maintenance. Keeps a record of time and materials used.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works on city streets, alleys, parking lots, sidewalks, curbs street signs, shade tree, sewer lines, pump station, buildings and facilities, so as to insure the highest level of maintenance at the most favorable cost within the
- Submits necessary state and other necessary units, regarding operation of the city’s water and sewer systems and
- Works on water, sewer, and storm sewer maintenance and
- Maintains accurate records relating to the repair and maintenance of streets, sewer lines, lift station, and equipment as a guide to analyzing recurring
- Maintains services on city sidewalks, cross walks, parking lots, street cleaning, traffic signs, curbs and parking
- Performs various maintenance tasks associated with all public works areas: streets, parks, sewer and water & storm
- Operate departments within annual budget and capital outlay priority list.
- Samples and tests water and sewer and keep appropriate records as required by the
- Reads water meters, records findings and forwards to deputy clerk/utility billing clerk for Advises deputy clerk of non-functional meters and installs and repairs water meters.
- Locates underground water and sewer lines for “gopher-one”
- Compiles and reports inventories and data and maintains accurate
- Maintains and repairs maintenance equipment; logs all maintenance and
- Records time and equipment used and submits information to the deputy clerk for billing to property
- Mows grass and removes snow around pump
- Basic plumbing and electrical repairs
- Cleans and maintains park restrooms, playground equipment and Paints picnic tables, restrooms and buildings when indicated
- Mows City-owned vacant lots.
- Maintenance of streets, storm sewers, water and sanitary
- Repairs and maintains city buildings; blows snow and shovels snow from sidewalks; applies gravel or salt to sidewalks; plows snow from city parking lot.
- Cleans City Hall and Community Center.
- Performs maintenance services on city street and alley right-of-way through the operation of motor graders, front-end loaders, plows, tractors, etc., or by manual
- Operates various mechanic shop power equipment and hand tools such as grinders, drill, saw, mechanic instruments and tools, welders, torch,
- Personally responds to emergency service calls on a 24-hour a day basis as necessary per the on-call
- Attends meetings of the City Council, and other meetings as assigned or Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned. Responds to service request and complaints of citizens in a pleasant and tactful manner and resolves problems in a manner, which maintains respect for city government.
- Represents the City in contacts with public as well as with engineers, contractors, other employees, other city officials and outside units of government in a manner, which will maintain
- Performs various preventative and corrective maintenance services on City equipment and vehicles to insure safe and proper
- Install seasonal banners and flags and holiday
- Operates and maintains well house, pump house and water
- Maintains fire hydrants including lubricating and
- Cleans and maintains city
- Maintains city signs for public
- Attends the necessary training to maintain their proper
- Works on street surface and parking lot maintenance, salting, sanding signing and striping, snow removal and right-of-way
- Performs other job-related duties as
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of tools, methods, operations, and materials used in water facilities.
- Knowledge of laboratory testing involved in water and wastewater
- Knowledge of Storm Sewer
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary to perform manual and maintenance work with the city’s utility
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations related to water
- Knowledge in sanitary sewer and storm sewer cleaning, maintenance and operation.
- Knowledge of the maintenance of a water tower, wells and filtration operations.
- Knowledge of and experience in street construction and maintenance.
- Ability to serve citizens in a tactful manner and resolve problems in a matter that maintains respect for city government.
- Skilled in the repair and maintenance of utility equipment and
- Skilled in testing water
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor, sometimes under adverse
- Ability to communicate effectively with other city employees, city council, sales personnel, the general public, and regulatory
- Ability to read and follow technical manuals and
- Ability to read gauges, detect problems, and responds appropriately to
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Mechanical aptitude is a must.
- Ability to become licensed as a water and/or wastewater operator.
- EMT and/or Firefighter certifications desired.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Must successfully pass a reference and background check.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment physical.
- Must comply with organizational and departmental policies.
- Must carry cell phone at all times during work and on-call times.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with city officials and city staff, state and federal agencies and the public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Completion of coursework required for high school graduation or its equivalent. Thorough knowledge to operate water treatment plants and knowledge of electronics and mechanics. Knowledge in sanitary sewer and storm sewer cleaning, maintenance and operation. Knowledge of the maintenance of a water tower, wells and filtration operations. Knowledge of and experience in street construction and maintenance. Thorough knowledge of the use and operation of all public works department equipment.
WORKING SCHEDULE: The typical work hours for this position are 7:00 a.m. through 3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday (with a 30- minute lunch period and two 15-minute rest periods). Other hours will be required, as this position is responsible to attend City Council meetings and other meetings as assigned or requested. Every third weekend to be on-call and read the pumps at the filter plant and lift station. On- call weekend must be able to respond to emergency or situation within 35 minutes (within 3 months of hire) and must be able to respond by telephone within 10 minutes as per on-call policy.
WORKING CONDITIONS: This position involves potential exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, gases, chemicals, noise, excessive noise, vibration, infectious diseases, pressurized equipment, explosive material/equipment, burning material/equipment and moving objects. This position must work inside, outside, in confined areas, work at heights, work on uneven ground, work underground, work alone, work with others, work around others, and have contact with the public. This position is exposed to heat, cold, extreme cold, wetness, humidity and marked changes in temperature on humidity.
Position includes 2 hours of sitting, 3 hours of standing and 3 hours of walking. Activities that occur infrequently or up to 60 minutes per day are bending/stooping, squatting, crawling, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, twisting, climbing staircase or other height, reaching at shoulder level, with the right, left or both shoulders, reaching above shoulder level with the right, left, or both shoulders, reaching below shoulder level with right, left, or both shoulders at the same time, use of fingers and hands repetitiously for fine manipulation, sense of touch, use of left, right and both feet in repetitive actions, talking and hearing. Must be able to see using near vision, far vision, depth perception, accommodation, color vision and field of vision/ peripheral and smell. This position requires carrying and lifting up to and over 75 pounds up to 60 minutes a day.
EXAMPLES OF EQUIPMENT UTILIZED: Use of a variety of gas, electric and air power tools, computers, calculators, radios, cell phones, laboratory equipment, measure and meter equipment and electrical equipment. Vehicles such as backhoe, loader, dump trucks, pickups, handheld computer to read meters, power drill, power saw, grinder, torch, cut off saw, pumps, jack hammer, riding mower, push mower, weed ships, communication radio, office equipment, computer and hedge trimmer.