DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
Under the direct supervision of the City Administrator/Clerk, the Deputy City Clerk is responsible for directing and coordinating the General Fund accounts including accounts receivable, accounts payable; process payroll; performing secretarial and clerical duties; providing customer service; taking and preparing minutes of the City Council in the absence of the City Administrator and performing other related functions as requested.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist City Administrator in issuing licenses for liquor, transient merchant, rental and animal. Send notice for renewal, complete appropriate forms. Collect fees and issue receipts. Check for insurance certificates and payment of property taxes and liquor licenses.
- Receive building permit applications. Forward applications and plans to Zoning administrator. Issues building permits when approved by Zoning administrator. Scan copy of permit to the Building Inspector and make copy for our property records.
- Conduct oral communication and public contact activities. Performs as backup to the EMT/Administrative Assistant in their absence.
- Assist Administrator in maintaining a record retention system for City Assist with administration of retention schedule. Assist with destruction and document records at appropriate time.
- Accounts payable. Verify incoming bills for accuracy, enter bills and issue payment after Council approval. Correctly assign correct fund account to bill. Generate vendor payment listing report for each Council
- Accounts receivable. Promptly send bills. Maintain billing for Community Room usage. Issue receipts for all payments. Receipt ambulance department revenue. Code and receipt other miscellaneous payments. Manage billing, payments and/or donations for fire and rescue calls. Calculate, file and pay quarterly sales tax. Prepare bank deposits. Prepare list of delinquent accounts.
- Verify timecards for accuracy. Input payroll for Administrator review. Process direct deposit, all payroll tax payments, PERA, and other payroll related reports bi-weekly or quarterly as
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliations for General Fund and all savings
- Reconciles petty cash.
- Bills out all water and sewer usage monthly. Posts all utility payments. Responds to customer inquiries and Determines delinquencies and prepares door hangers for potential shut-off.
- Assists with annual budget and annual audit as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality in accordance to the Government Data Privacy
- Performs physical demands and work environment requirements for this
- Attendance during regularly scheduled work hours and outside of regular hours as
- Effective and respectful communication and interactions with other employees, supervisors, individuals from other organizations, and citizen
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participates in training and education opportunities to maintain and improve proficiency and required licenses.
- Perform other duties as requested.
This position uses a variety of equipment typical to a traditional office setting. Such equipment may include, but is not limited to, personal computers, printers, telephones, fax machines, copy machines, calculators, scanners and postage machine.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of municipal
- Knowledge of modern office methods, procedures and practices.
- Ability to cooperate with a wide range of
- Ability to maintain appropriate level of discretion with confidential
- Ability to organize assignments, prioritize tasks and independently complete work in a timely manner including during stressful situations and under
- Ability to keep accurate and complete records, files,
- Ability to read and analyze technical information and spot
- Ability to prioritize work, research files, and solve
- Ability to operate office equipment including a computer and related software, telephone, copier, facsimile machine, calculator, postage machine and learn and maintain new software and
- Ability to type or enter data into computer with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service to the City
- Ability to work under pressure and with frequent
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas, explanations, and recommendations, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community groups, commissions, elected officials, employees, and the general
- At least one (1) year of experience in an office
- At least one (1) year of experience with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- AAS degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field.
- Experience in accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll
- At least one (1) year of experience in a local government setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in customer service.
- At least two (2) years’ experience with a computer, including Microsoft Office.
- Municipal Certified Clerk designation desired.
- Minnesota Notary Public Commission desired.
- EMT and/or Firefighter certifications desired.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must possess a valid Minnesota Driver’s License.
- Must comply with organizational and departmental policies.
- Must successfully pass a reference, credit and background check.